Tera Lynn Childs is the award-winning author of the mythology-based Oh. My. Gods. and Goddess Boot Camp, the mermaid tales Forgive My Fins, Fins Are Forever and Just For Fins (July 3, 2012), and a new trilogy about monster-hunting descendants of Medusa, starting with Sweet Venom and Sweet Shadows (September 4, 2012). She has also epublished two fun chick lit romances, Eye Candy and Straight Stalk. Tera lives nowhere in particular and spends her time writing wherever she can find a comfy chair and a steady stream of caffeinated beverages.I definitely feel super awesome having Tera on my blog today! I absolutely ADORED Sweet Venom and I'm stoked to finally read Sweet Shadows (which I have an ARC of :D) ! So, on to the awesomeness that is Tera!!!
1. Sweet Venom is about 3 sisters who are descendants of Medusa. What inspired you to write their story?
A magazine spread about snake-themed accessories. Seriously, I was flipping through a magazine (InStyle maybe) and saw this collection of snakeskin notebooks and serpent earrings and thought, "Wow, that's really cool." I was already writing about mythology so I put those two things together (snakes and mythology) and came up with Medusa.
2. What kind of research did you have to do on this specific myth?
Actually, I was amazed to find out how little specific information there is in classical mythology about Medusa. That's good news for me, though, because that means I get to play around with what information there is and twist it to suit my purposes.
3. Sweet Venom takes place in San Francisco, CA (The Bay Area! I live there!!), what kind of research did you have to do about the city to make it as accurate as possible?
This is the first time I went on a research trip for a book. In April 2010 I spent a week in San Francisco, just kind of wandering around and looking for locations for the books. I even made a Google map of those locations (with artistic license in effect) http://bit.ly/mRFsvX. Everywhere that in the book? I've been there. And I'm planning to make another research trip this spring to get everything I need to finish up the trilogy.
4. Out of the three sisters (Grace, Gretchen, Greer) who was your favorite to write? Who did you most identify with?
I am probably the most like Grace. I was good in school, I'm good with computers (though nowhere near as good as her), and I used to have a hard time standing up for myself. Gretchen is definitely my favorite girl to write, though, because she's so awesomely kick-butt and she also has a tough background. She's complicated. That always makes for interesting writing.
5. What can we expect from Sweet Shadows? I'm hoping we'll get to hear more about Greer?
Yes! While Sweet Shadows focuses a little more on Gretchen (like Sweet Venom focused on Grace) there is definitely a lot more Greer. I think readers will like her a lot more by the end of this book because, honestly, there wasn't much to love about her in the first one. I think I can safely say that Sweet Shadows is the book in which the $@#& hits the fan. Everything that was just starting to go wrong in Sweet Venom goes pretty off the charts. More boy time, more monsters, more mythology and more danger.
- US ONLY
- Must be 13 or older to enter
- I am not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged items
- Winner will have 48 hours to respond